Mushroom, Onion, and Barley Soup
- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley, soaked in 4 cups filtered water overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 carrots, scrubbed or peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups light vegetable stock
- 2 cups filtered water
- sea salt
- In a medium-large stockpot, place the drained barley, onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Add the stock and 2 cups of filtered water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the barley is completely cooked and thickened.
- Season to taste with sea salt. Add more water or stock if the soup is too thick for your liking.
Variation: In a pinch, filtered water and natural bouillon cubes may be used.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.