Mexican Barbecued Lamb Steaks
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 American Lamb sirloin steaks or 6 shoulder chops (approximately 2 pounds), cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
- To make barbecue sauce, heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Cook onion for 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; stir until melted. Add remaining ingredients; heat through and set aside.
- Grill lamb steaks 4 inches from medium-hot coals for 7 to 10 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160° F for medium, or 170° F for well. Baste chops frequently with sauce during the last 7 minutes of cooking.
Buying Lamb: When buying lamb, look for firm and fine textured meat. The fat should be firm, white and well-trimmed.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.