Mashed Potato Cakes with Onions and Kale
- 8 cups water
- 1 huge bunch kale, trimmed (about 6-10 oz)
- 5 small red potatoes, cubed
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Sage sprigs (optional)
- Parmesean cheese (optional)
- Ketchup (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add kale. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. While the kale is cooking, chop the rest of your veggies. Remove kale with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid. Chop kale and set aside.
- Add potato to reserved cooking liquid in pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash potatoes. Stir in kale and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, diced onion, and chopped sage. Cook 13 minutes or until browned.
- Combine potato mixture, onion mixture, green onions, and pepper in the pan. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Divide potato mixture into eight equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Then broil patties for 5 minutes or until browned.
- You can serve the patties as is, or top them with 1 Tbsp fresh grated parmesan, or serve them with ketchup, or just garnish them with sage sprigs. You can really do anything you like with them!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.