Light Albacore Chowder
- 1 1/3 lbs skinless Pacific albacore loin cuts or steaks
- 1 can 10.75 ounces chicken broth, preferably low-sodium or salt-free style
- 1 cup diced new potatoes
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- Rinse albacore with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Cube fish; set aside. In medium saucepan, mix broth with 1 can of water. Place albacore in steamer tray over broth and steam 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Albacore should be pink in center when removed from heat. Set albacore aside.
- Strain broth into large saucepan. Add potatoes and simmer until tender. Remove cooked potatoes from broth, reserving liquid. Pureé cooked potatoes with 1/4 cup broth. Return with remaining broth to pot. Add thyme, basil, and vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are almost tender.
- Before serving, stir in albacore and milk and heat to serving temperature without boiling. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.