Lentil Soup with Smoked Turkey
- 2 cups lentils, uncooked
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz smoked turkey breast, cut in 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces
- Combine all ingredients except turkey breast in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, and turn down to simmer. Cook, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Add turkey pieces and cook for about 15 minutes more, until the flavors have mingled and the turkey breast is thoroughly heated through.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.