Key Lime Cactus Soda
- 2 1/2 cups cane sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs fresh key lime zest
- Juice of10 key limes
- 2 cups prickly pear cactus, thorns removed and diced
- Pinch of salt
- Soda water
- In a large nonreactive saucepan combine sugar, lemon juice, key lime juice and zest, cactus, salt, and 1 ½ cups of water.
- Bring liquid to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved and liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat and let steep 1 hour.
- Strain and discard cactus. Store syrup in a sealed bottle in the fridge. It can last up to two weeks.
- To make soda, pour 1 ½ tablespoons of syrup over ice and mix with fresh seltzer water. Enjoy!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.