- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- Seasoning4 Tbs whole Jamaican allspice, roasted until aromatic and ground in spice grinder
- 1 tsp whole cloves, roasted until aromatic and ground in spice grinder
- 2 Tbs red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- 1 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbs dark brown sugar
- For Jerk Marinade4 tsp Scotch bonnet pepper sauce
- 4 scallions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 Tbs dark Jamaican rum
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs orange juice
- Juice from one lime
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 dashes bitters
- Wash chicken and pat dry. With a knife, pierce the chicken so the marinade can be best absorbed. Set aside.
- Combine all spice ingredients for the seasoning in a food processor. Add Scotch bonnet pepper sauce, scallions, garlic, ginger, vinegar, rum, olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, and bitters. Pulse until ingredients are combined.
- Place the chicken in a plastic zip-top bag and pour marinade on top. Shake until the chicken is equally coated and let it marinate for at least 24 hours and a maximum of two days.
- When the chicken is done marinating, cook on an oiled rack set 4 inches over coals. Cover and cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes per side, or until juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Serve with grilled plantains, chutney, red cabbage coleslaw, or rice. Enjoy!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.