Italian Pork Pita Pockets
- 8 boneless pork chops, thin, about 2 ounces each
- 2 green bell peppers, each cut into 8 lengthwise strips
- 2 portabella mushrooms, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges, separated
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 8 pita pocket bread halves
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, (2 ounce each), low-fat, part skim, cut in half
- Heat oven to broil. Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange pork chops and vegetables in a single layer on baking pan. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and fennel seed. Brush mixture on both sides of pork. Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for about 6 to 10 minutes, or until pork has internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160° F and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove from oven; divide pork and vegetables among pita pocket breads. Add 1 slice of cheese to each sandwich.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with jicama salad and cherry tomatoes.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.