Island Chicken Paella
- 2 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 14-ounce cans chicken broth (or 3 cups homemade chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbs capers
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 Spanish olives (green with pimento), sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 7-ounce jar roasted peppers or 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- In large, deep nonstick skillet or paella pan with cover, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside. Add onion and garlic, sauteing until translucent.
- Stirring in rice, cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, capers and cayenne pepper. Press chicken pieces down into the liquid. Cover pan and let liquid come to a slow simmer; reduce heat to very low. Let cook until rice is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Top with olives and peas and stir very gently. Arrange the pepper strips on top of the paella. Cover pan again for 3 to 4 minutes, until peas are hot. Serve in shallow bowls.
Nutrition note: Nutrition calculation based on 1 large red pepper.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.