Hunan Hot and Sour Soup
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp gingerroot, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs tamari
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb firm tofu, sliced into 1/4x1-inch (0.5x2.5cm) strips
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs mirin (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp (45mL) cold water
- 1 egg, well-beaten (optional)
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat in a 21/2- to 3-quart (1.9 to 2.9L) saucepan. Add garlic, ginger, black pepper, and tamari. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, tofu, cabbage, carrots, peas and corn. Stir and let simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in vinegar, mirin and cornstarch mixture. Continue cooking until soup is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove soup from heat. Slowly pour in beaten egg and stir. Garnish with green onions or cilantro and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.