Homemade Healthy Pizza
- 1 lb Whole wheat fresh pizza dough (look for one with low calories and high fiber)
- 1 cup Low-fat pizza sauce (check the ingredients and make sure there’s no added sugar! That’s where all the unnecessary calories from pizza sauce comes from)
- 3/4 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup Baby spinach leaves
- 1 tomato (cut into thin slices)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (you don’t have to use the whole cup – that’s the max amount we have ever used)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Lightly spray a pizza pan with cooking spray – use as the base to spread out the dough. One tip for spreading out the dough: use your hands (sprinkle flour on the dough and on your hands), knead it, and then spread it with the palms of your hands.
- Once the dough is spread out, top with pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle garlic, red pepper, onion, and tomato slices over the sauce.
- Top with grated Parmesan and spinach leaves.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden-brown and the cheese is bubbling and slightly golden.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.