Ham and Egg Breakfast Burritos
- 12 oz 97% fat-free cooked ham, chopped
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 2 eggs, whole
- 2 Tbs milk, nonfat
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas, heated
- 1/3 cup salsa
- fresh cilantro, or chives, chopped (optional)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Cook red and green bell peppers and onion over medium heat in large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray for 3-5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Beat together egg whites, eggs, milk, salt and black pepper in medium bowl until combined.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until egg mixture begins to set on bottom and around edge. Lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture with spatula so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and folding mixture until eggs are cooked through, but still glossy and moist. Fold in ham; continue cooking until heated through, gently folding mixture occasionally.
- Remove skillet from heat. To assemble, spoon mixture near the center on each tortilla. Fold bottom up over filling. Fold in side and roll to enclose mixture.
- To serve, top with salsa. Garnish with cilantro or chives, if desired.
Ingredient Note: To warm tortillas, place tortillas on dinner plate, slightly overlapping. Cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds or until warm.
Shopping Tip: Learn to become a label detective. When counting calories and fat, tortillas are not all alike. Be sure to flip the package over and compare the nutrition information from different brands.
Serving Suggestion: For the family on the run, no need to skip having a hot, nutritious breakfast. Make a batch of these burritos and wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then freeze. On those mornings when you're hurried, just unwrap a burrito from its plastic wrap and rewrap it in a white paper towel. Microwave on high (100%) about 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve with milk and juice.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.