Grilled Steak Sandwich with Mushroom Spread
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough or crusty Italian bread
- 8 oz grilled steak (about 12 slices) or boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups trimmed arugula or spinach leaves
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat butter until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until browned and liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, thyme and pepper.
- Spread each slice of bread with about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture. Top 4 of the slices with steak, onion and arugula, dividing evenly. Cover with the remaining bread slices.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.