Grilled Lamb Salad Paella
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2-1/2 pounds American Lamb leg steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 6 saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/3 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic and chili powder.
- In 13 x 9-inch baking dish, arrange lamb steaks in a single layer. Pour on 1/3 cup marinade. Cover and refrigerate, marinating 4 to 8 hours, turning twice.
- In medium pan with lid, combine broth, oregano, garlic salt and saffron. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Cover, lower heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes; cool slightly.
- To BroilPlace lamb steaks on broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat source for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160° F for medium, or 170° F for well.
- To GrillCook over medium-hot coals. Grill lamb steaks 4 inches from coals for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness: 145° F for medium-rare, 160°F for medium, or 170° F for well.
- To ServeSlice cooked lamb into 1/4-inch thick strips; cover and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, red and green peppers, artichoke hearts, peas, tomatoes, almonds, green onions and lamb. Add remaining 2/3 cup dressing and toss.
Defrosting Lamb: Thaw frozen lamb in the refrigerator overnight or for faster thawing, use a microwave oven, following the manufacturer's directions. Do not thaw frozen lamb at room temperature.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.