Greens with Smoked Turkey, Apples and Walnuts
- 3 Tbs walnuts, pieces
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 8 cups red leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 apple, chopped (any sweet variety)
- 6 oz smoked turkey breast, cut into 1-inch (3cm) pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Dressing:1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare dressing: In a jar or small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oil, garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Prepare caramelized walnuts: Combine sugar and walnuts in a heavy skillet. Cook slowly over medium-low heat, stirring often, until all the sugar has melted onto the walnuts and they are brown. Remove from hot pan and cool. If prepared ahead, store in an air-tight container.
- Assemble salad: Combine greens, apple, smoked turkey (or tuna) and red onion. Toss gently with curry dressing. Portion salad onto plates and sprinkle with caramelized walnuts.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.