Green Chilli, Sweet Potato, and Black Bean Enchiladas
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cans green chillies, chopped and divided
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can of white shoepeg corn
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cans green chilli enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3-4 green onions, diced
- 3 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs diced red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Cut them into 1-inch cubes and toss in 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Spread the potatoes evenly on an ungreased baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. Turn the sweet potatoes over and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large pan, heat up 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat, add diced onions and one can of diced green chillies; cook for about 2 minutes. Add one clove of minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, roasted sweet potatoes, lime juice, cumin, and chilli powder. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Spray one 9 x 13 inch glass dish with cooking spray and place near your stovetop. This will be part of your enchilada making station!
- In a small shallow pan, heat up enchilada sauce. Place one corn tortilla in the sauce at a time and let soak on both sides. You will want to do this fairly quickly or else the tortilla will fall apart.
- Move the tortilla to the 9 x 13 inch dish.
- Drizzle the centre of the tortilla with sour cream and sprinkle with grated cheese. Top with one heaping spoonful of sweet potato black bean filling.
- Carefully roll the tortilla ensuring it is seam side down in the dish.
- Repeat steps until the 9×13 glass dish is full. When complete, top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce, reserved can of chopped green chillies and remaining grated cheese.
- Bake until slightly browned and cheese is bubbling; approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve top with sour cream, green onions, cilantro and red peppers.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.