Greek Rice Casserole with Feta and Artichokes
- 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes, (one 28-ounce can), drained
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red chili pepper, flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 1/8 cups artichoke hearts, (one 8.5-ounce can), drained and quartered
- 3 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- 1/2 cup feta cheese*, crumbled (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add drained tomatoes, basil, oregano, chile flakes and salt to skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon as they cook.
- In a medium bowl, toss artichoke quarters, rice and feta together. Pour into a medium casserole dish that has been prepared with vegetable oil spray. When tomato sauce is ready, pour over the rice mixture, shaking the dish so the tomato sauce settles.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.