Fresh Mushroom Clafouti
- 2 Tbs corn oil margarine
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry Sherry
- 1 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 Tbs thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 Tbs salt
- 1/4 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Using a nonstick vegetable spray, spray a 10-inch fluted quiche pan or pie plate.
- Filling: In a large skillet heat margarine until melted. Add onion; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is just softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and dry Sherry; cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 18 minutes; set aside.
- CrustIn the container of an electric blender place milk, flour, egg whites, egg, thyme, salt and black pepper. Blend on high speed, until well beaten, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour 1 cup mixture into prepared pan forming a thin layer; set remaining mixture aside. Bake until firm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; transfer to a baking sheet; spoon mushroom mixture from skillet evenly over crust reserving 1/4 cup mushrooms for garnish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Whirl remaining milk mixture in blender to combine; pour over cheese. Bake until puffed and brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool, about 10 minutes before serving (clafouti will lose some of its puffiness and flatten out). Garnish with reserved 1/4 cup mushrooms and fresh thyme springs, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.