French Silk Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbs water
- 4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 Graham cracker crumb crust or basic baked piecrust
- Mix sugar and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Add eggs and water; beat until well blended. Add chocolate; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and temperature reaches 160°F. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Cool quickly: Set pan in larger pan of ice water. Stir vigorously until temperature of mixture falls to 80°F to 90°F. Remove pan from ice water. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat butter in mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cooled egg mixture; beat on high speed 4 to 5 minutes. Pour into pie shell. Refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.