Firefly Lamb Jambalaya
- 3 to 4 tbs canola oil
- 3 cups leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Spanish chorizo
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 Tbs garlic
- 12 whole crawfish
- 1 cup crawfish tail meat
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 lamb chops
- salt and pepper as needed
- cornstarch as needed
- Jambalaya Broth:4 red bell peppers, julienne
- 4 yellow bell peppers, julienne
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 quarts tomatoes, diced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart water 1 quart
- Jambalaya Rice:2 quarts cooked white rice, still warm
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs smoked paprika
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground bay leaf
- 1 tsp cayenne 1 teaspoon
- salt to taste
- For the Jambalaya Broth Place peppers, celery, tomatoes, onions, bay leaves, garlic, chili flakes, salt, pepper and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes; remove bay leaves and store in refrigerator until needed.
- For the Jambalaya RicePlace rice in a bowl with tomato paste, paprika, garlic, oregano, bay leaf, cayenne and salt; mix thoroughly. Store in refrigerator until ready for use.
- In a shallow pan, over a medium-high flame, add oil. Add lamb and chorizo, cooking to brown and crumble chorizo. Season with salt. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté for 6 to 7 minutes. Add the whole crawfish and crawfish meat. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add broth and rice. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until rice softens and absorbs the broth. Use chicken stock as needed to help keep the Jambalaya loose. Adjust for salt.
- Season lamb chops with salt and pepper; dredge in cornstarch. Deep fry for about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Serve Jambalaya in bowl. Place the lamb chop and whole crawfish on top of the Jambalaya.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.