- Sauce3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 sundried tomatoes (from a jar or rehydrated)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp. hot sauce
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Eggplant1 eggplant
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- In a food processor, blend tomatoes, red pepper, and sundried tomatoes until smooth. Add oregano, balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, sugar, and tomato paste and blend until they are well combined.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat up olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add tomato purée to pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F°.
- In the meantime, prepare the eggplant. In a shallow, bowl mix the eggs with oregano and fill a separate bowl with bread crumbs. Cover the eggplant with flour, dip each piece in the egg mixture and then cover with bread crumbs.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant on each side in batches until golden brown.
- In a glass oven-safe dish, coat the bottom with 1/4 of the tomato sauce. Place 1/3 of the fried eggplant into the dish and cover with 1/4 more sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and repeat until all the eggplant has been used. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- You can serve the eggplant on a bed of pasta or on its own with a side salad. Enjoy!
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.