Easy Lamb Creole Gumbo
- 1 pound American Lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sliced okra, defrosted
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Coat lamb with flour. In large pan with cover, heat oil over medium-hot heat. Add lamb and brown. Stir in tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, lemon, salt, thyme, bay leaf and garlic. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add okra and black-eyed peas. Cook 10 to 15 additional minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Cooking Lamb: Lamb should be juicy and tender when cooked. Tender lamb cuts can be prepared using dry heat - roasting, broiling, grilling, pan-broiling and pan-frying. Less tender cuts are best prepared using moist heat - braising and stewing.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.