Curried Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or white rice, dry
- 1 14 ounce can lite coconut milk, divided
- 2 Tbs canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red pepper, sliced into thin strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbs curry powder, divided
- 1 10 ounce bag prewashed baby spinach (about 6 packed cups)
- 1 lb shrimp, (16-20 count), (shelled and deveined)
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the rice as directed, using 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in place of 3/4 cup of water. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the curry powder, and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Return the skillet to the stove and heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry powder, and cook about 2 minutes per side. Return the vegetables to the pan. Add the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk, combine, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over the coconut rice.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.