Curried Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 8 oz smoked ham, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 to 5 tsp curry powder
- 2 cans (1 3/4 ounces each) ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring occasionally until carrots are nearly crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ham and curry powder; cook stirring constantly, until curry is fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and barley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, until barley is tender, about 10 minutes.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.