Cuban Chicken with Rice
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks (about 8 - 10)
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 can (12 oz) beer
- 1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimentos, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Season drumsticks with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. In large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add chicken to pan and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add to pan onion, garlic and green pepper; sauté 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add tomato sauce, white wine and warm chicken stock. Add remaining teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring gently. Add beer.
- Cover pan and place in preheated oven. Bake 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven; stir in beer and return to oven. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with knife, about 5 minutes more. Add pimentos and peas; stir well to blend. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.