Crispy Shrimp with Garlicky Sautéed Kale
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, (16 to 20 count), raw
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese style) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- Sautéed Kale1 Tbs canola oil
- 1/2 tsp bottled crushed garlic, or 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9 oz prewashed kale (about 6 packed cups)
- 2 Tbs fresh or bottled lemon juice
- Kosher salt, pinch
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact. Starting at the tail end, butterfly shrimp by cutting down the middle to the underside of the shrimp without cutting through it. Remove and discard vein if necessary. Butterfly shrimp. Flatten each shrimp gently with a mallet or rolling pin. Set aside.
- Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and ground flaxseed in a shallow bowl. Dip each shrimp in the egg, then coat evenly with the bread crumb mixture, and arrange on a plate. Heat the oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until crispy and done, 1 to 2 minutes per side. You may need to cook the shrimp in two batches depending on the size of your skillet.
- Sautéed KaleHeat the oil in a large nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and kale and cook, stirring frequently until the kale wilts and is cooked, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and kosher salt before serving.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.