Creamy, Healthy Corn and Quinoa Chowder
- 3/4 cup red or white quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil (can use about 3/4 of a Tbsp)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 large red potato, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 small shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain soymilk (I like low-fat soymilk)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tbs chopped cilantro, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Lime wedges, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast quinoa and cumin seeds in a pot over medium-high heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and fragrant, stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat oil in pot; add corn, potato, and shallots. Sauté 5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent. Add broth and soymilk and bring to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until quinoa and vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges.
- I served it with toasted pita wedges which were fun to use as little dippers in the soup!
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.