Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 3/4 lb asparagus spears, trimmed and chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup flat parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbs pine nuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 6 Tbs freshly grated parmesean cheese (1 Tbs per bowl of soup)
- Garlic salt
- Black Pepper
- Creamy Asparagus SoupIn a large pot, add olive oil, onions, and garlic over medium heat. Let mixture sweat, but do not let the garlic burn.
- Once the onions have turned translucent (about 5 min), add the stock and chickpeas. Increase heat to medium-high and allow come to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until tender but not limp. Stir in half the parsley.
- Blend ingredients. (I use a hand blender which worked great. Just take the pot off the heat and blend it in right in the pot! If you don’t have a hand blender, you can use a regular blender.) With a slotted spoon, scoop solid ingredients into a blender. Pour in half of the remaining broth. Blend until just smooth.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, and pine nuts. Continue to blend. (If you are using a regular blender, this is where you’d add the rest of the broth as well.)
- Add garlic salt and black pepper to taste
- Top each bowl with 1 Tbsp fresh parmesean cheese
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.