Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground Beef, uncooked
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup rice, white or brown, cooked (leftover rice works well)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or more to taste
- 4 cups marinara sauce, (homemade or commercial)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1 lb spaghetti, uncooked
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, rice and egg whites in a large bowl. Add oregano, salt, and pepper and mix well (using hands), until all ingredients are well blended. Form into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls.
- Heat a nonstick skillet and spray with nonfat vegetable spray. Cook meatballs over medium heat, turning so that the meatballs are evenly brown on all sides. When meatballs are no longer pink on the inside, transfer them to a medium-sized saucepan.
- Pour prepared or homemade marinara sauce over meatballs and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water until al dente. Drain, and transfer into a large serving platter.
- Pour meatballs and sauce over pasta and serve piping hot. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.