Chocolate Yule Log
- 6 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (2 oz.)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- chocolate buttercream frosting
- Syrup1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbs almond-flavored liqueur, optional
- Heat oven to 400°F. Coat 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with waxed or parchment paper; spray paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, 2 Tbs at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Beat egg yolks in clean mixer bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar until pale yellow and sugar is dissolved. Beat in almond extract, vanilla and salt.
- Mix almonds and flour in small bowl; sprinkle evenly over egg whites. Add yolk mixture. Fold gently but thoroughly until color is uniform and no streaks of white remain. Do not stir. Pour into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake in 400°F oven until center springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make syrup. Heat sugar and water in small saucepan to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute. Let cool. Stir in liqueur, if desired.
- Sprinkle clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto towel; carefully peel off waxed paper. Trim all cake edges with serrated knife. Brush syrup evenly on hot cake. Roll up cake, starting from short end and rolling towel in with cake. Cool wrapped cake roll, seam-side down on wire rack.
- Carefully unroll cooled cake; remove towel. Spread evenly with about 1 cup frosting; reroll cake. Place seam-side down on platter. Cover with about 1 cup frosting, using small spatula to create tree-bark effect.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.