Chipotle Sloppy Joes with Crunchy Coleslaw
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Crunchy Coleslaw:1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
- Black pepper
- To prepare Crunchy Coleslaw, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt in small bowl. Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper; toss to coat. Season with black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Brown ground beef with onion in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cilantro, salt and black pepper.
- Place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with coleslaw. Close sandwiches.
Cook's Tip: Thinly sliced green cabbage may be substituted for the packaged coleslaw mix.
Cook's Tip: This recipe works well with all varieties of lean ground beef, including 90% lean.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.