Chipotle-Marinated Beef Flank Steak
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds) or beef top round steak, cut 1 inch thick (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- Marinade:1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from chilies)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime peel
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Place beef steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill flank steak, uncovered, 17 to 21 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness (top round steak 16 to 18 minutes for medium rare doneness; do not overcook), turning occasionally. Carve steak across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt, as desired.
To broil, place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil flank steak 13 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness (top round steak 17 to 18 minutes for medium rare doneness; do not overcook), turning once.
This recipe, using flank steak (1/4 of recipe) is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
This recipe, using top round (1/4 of recipe) is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.