Chilly Winter's Eve Lamb Shank Supper
- 4 lamb foreshanks
- Salt and coarse pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fennel, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick (do not use solid center)
- 2 bottles (12 ounces each) light to medium beer
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped petite tomatoes and juice
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- Generously season shanks with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Brown shanks on all sides until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Pour out liquid from pan.
- In same skillet, combine garlic, carrots, onion and fennel; sauté for 6 to 8 minutes to lightly brown, stirring occasionally. Mix in beer or broth, tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Pour over shanks. Braise in 375°F oven for 2-1/2 hours. Baste shanks with sauce and turn them over every 45 minutes. Serve lamb in large, low-sided soup bowls with broth and vegetables.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.