Chicken with Green Olives
- 3-4 lbs chicken leg-thigh combination pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried turmeric
- 1 tbls garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups canned chicken stock
- 2 cups green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tbls lemon juice
- 2 tbls cilantro, chopped
- In large deep skillet over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Add chicken to skillet, skin-side down, and cook, turning, until well browned, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and remove chicken to a plate.
- To same skillet, add onion pieces, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook together, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add remaining teaspoon of salt and stir well. Add chicken stock; raise heat to medium-high temperature and return chicken to pan, skin-side up. Continue cooking at low simmer.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare olives by covering them with water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat; drain water and repeat. Add drained olives to chicken cooking on stove. Continue cooking until chicken is done, about 15 minutes total from the time it is returned to the pan. Add lemon juice and stir well. Add cilantro and stir. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.