Chicken-Mozzarella Melt with Pasta Bow Ties
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 box (12 oz) bow tie pasta (farfalle)
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, very finely chopped, at room temperature
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Prepare marinade by pulsing in blender or food processor one-half cup basil leaves, one fourth cup olive oil, garlic clove and one-half teaspoon salt. Place chicken in zippered plastic bag; add marinade, seal bag and turn to coat evenly. Refrigerate chicken and let marinate for at least one hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, drain chicken, leaving the basil that clings to the breasts. Let sit uncovered at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Prepare gas or charcoal grill or preheat broiler. Grill chicken uncovered (or broil) for 10 to 12 minutes total, turning and rotating chicken to produce crisscross grill marks. Chicken is cooked when internal temperature measures 160° F.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in large serving bowl. Add mozzarella cheese pieces; toss well to melt cheese with pasta.
- Cut hot chicken meat into 1/2 inch pieces. Immediately scatter warm chicken and juices over pasta and cheese; toss well. Add tomato, red bell pepper, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, remaining one-half teaspoon salt and black pepper. Serve hot.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.