Chicken and Rice Middle East Style
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Sauté onions and garlic until browned.
- Add rice to pot and cook, stirring constantly to cover all the grains of rice with oil. They should be lightly toasted, but not dark brown. Decrease heat if it looks like the grains of rice are burning. Pour in chicken broth, add allspice, pepper, and salt.
- Turn heat up to high. Place chicken pieces on top of rice and broth mixture, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let the pot steam for 15 minutes or more. Using a large spoon, fluff the rice and turn the chicken breasts.
- Serve 1 chicken breast with a large mound of rice.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.