Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Sauce:2 Tbs flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbs cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 Tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce, canned
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 oz tomato paste
- Filling:1 lb boned and skinned chicken breast, uncooked
- 1 2/3 cups black beans, canned, (one 15-ounce can)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese*, shredded, divided
- 4 oz green chili peppers, diced
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 or 7 flour tortillas, 10-inches (25cm) round
- To make sauce: In a small bowl, combine flour, chili powder, cocoa powder, sugar and salt; set aside. In a medium saucepan, add tomato sauce, water and tomato paste. Heat and stir in flour mixture using a whisk. Continue stirring over medium heat while sauce thickens. Simmer slowly for 30–60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make filling: Cook chicken breasts in a pot of boiling water until done, approximately 20 minutes. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch (2cm) pieces. Drain and rinse canned black beans. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, beans, 1 cup (130g) cheese, green chilis, cumin and garlic powder.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Spray a 9x12-inch (22x30cm) shallow baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Pour one cup enchilada sauce into the baking dish and spread evenly. One at a time, moisten each tortilla by dipping it briefly in the enchilada sauce. Place approximately 1 cup (150g) of filling on each tortilla and roll it up. Put in baking dish seam side down. Continue this process until all enchiladas have been assembled. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake in the oven uncovered for 20–25 minutes. Remove and sprinkle over remaining cheese. Return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with salsa and light sour cream.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.