Cheesy Spinach-Stuffed Meatloaf
- Meatloaf:1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Filling1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, well drained
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Topping:3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Dried Italian seasoning (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°. In medium bowl, combine filling ingredients; mix well. Set aside. In large bowl, combine meatloaf ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Place beef mixture on waxed paper and pat into 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread filling over beef, leaving 3/4-inch border around edges. Starting at short end, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Press beef mixture over spinach filling at both ends to seal. Place seam side down on rack in open roasting pan.
- Bake in 350° oven 1 hour. Spread ketchup over loaf; return to oven and continue baking 15 minutes. Top loaf with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with additional Italian seasoning, if desired.
- To serve, cut into 1-inch thick slices.
Cook's Tip: To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread slices in food processor, fitted with steel blade, or blender container. Cover; process 30 seconds, pulsing on and off, until fine crumbs. One and a half slices will yield 1 cup soft bread crumbs.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.