Cheddar-Crusted Chicken Breasts with Grapes and Apples in Grand Marnier Sauce
- 6 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups canned chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 cans beef consommé
- 2 tbls dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tbls butter
- 3 red apples, cut into wedges (Rome or McIntosh apples preferred)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (with good orange color)
- 30 red seedless grapes
- 3 tbls Grand Marnier
- Rice and Barley with Almonds1 cup almond slivers browned
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup barley
- 8 dried apple slices (diced)
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 tsp salt
- Put rice and barley on to cook as is directed in following recipe.
- Preheat broiler.
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to a boil quartered onion pieces, sage, chicken broth, water and salt. Add chicken; bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Cover pan and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove chicken breasts to a plate; cover to keep warm. Discard broth mixture.
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm beef consommé, brown sugar, orange marmalade and cornstarch-water mixture. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- In medium heavy skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté apple pieces until just browned, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towel and arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle each chicken breast with cheddar cheese; place under heated broiler just enough to melt and brown the cheese, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, place barley and rice on plate. Top with chicken breasts. Reheat sauce to a boil; stir in apple wedges, grapes and Grand Marnier. Spoon sauce over chicken breasts and barley-rice.
- Rice and Barley with Almonds:In oven warmed to 350° F, toast 1 cup almond slivers until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. In heavy pot or saucepan with lid, warm 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add 2 cups chopped onions; sauté until soft, about 7-10 minutes. Add 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup barley, 8 dried apple slices (diced), 4 cups chicken stock or water, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and cook at low simmer 35 minutes. Gently toss with fork; stir in almond slivers.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.