- 1 lb white beans, uncooked, such as great northern or navy beans
- 1/2 lb turkey bacon slices
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa sausage
- 2 lbs chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse beans and pick out any discolored beans. Place in a large pot with 6 cups (1.5L) of water. Cover. Bring beans to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat a large Dutch oven. Cook turkey bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate. Slice Kielbasa sausage into 1-inch (3cm) rounds and cook in the bacon drippings until browned. Transfer to dish with bacon.
- Add chicken pieces to pot and brown on all sides. Add onion, celery carrots, garlic and thyme to pot. Stir and cook until the vegetables are tender. Return sausage and bacon to the Dutch oven.
- Drain beans and add to the pot. Add chicken broth and canned tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Stir in wine. Transfer Cassoulet to the oven and cook, covered for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and carefully remove lid.
- Spread bread crumbs over the top of the cassoulet and drizzle with olive oil. Return to oven, uncovered,and cook for 10 minutes until the bread crumbs are brown.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.