Broiled Baby Zucchini Boats with Parmesan Crust
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 small zucchini and/or summer squash (slender ones, about 6 inches long), halved lengthwise
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the broiler to 500°F and move the oven rack to the highest position.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or a frying pan with an ovenproof handle. Add the garlic, and sauté over medium-low heat for only about 30 seconds, so it cooks but does not brown. (Browning garlic makes it bitter.)
- Place the zucchini halves facedown in the pan and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the zucchini are just slightly tender when poked gently with a fork.
- Turn over the zucchini, and sprinkle with Parmesan. (Don't worry if the Parmesan spills into the pan. It will melt into additional delicious crust.) Cook for just a minute or two more, then transfer the skillet to the broiler.
- Broil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve hot, and be sure to scrape up the spilled Parmesan from the bottom of the pan.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.