Braised Lamb with Black Mission Figs
- 2 oranges
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed, divided
- 4 teaspoons cracked peppercorns, divided
- 4 cups red wine, divided
- 2-1/2 pounds American Lamb boneless shoulder or leg, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups dried black mission figs, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Prepare two seasoning packets. Using a potato peeler, peel large pieces of skin from orange. Divide orange peel, garlic, thyme, and peppercorns into 2 cheese cloth packets. Tie to secure.
- In large bowl, combine 1/2 cup wine and 1 seasoning packet. Add lamb, refrigerate and marinate for 4 hours.
- Drain lamb, discard marinade and seasoning packet. Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- In large oven-proof pan with cover, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Brown lamb in portions adding more oil as needed and set aside.
- Sauté onion and carrots for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lamb, remaining 3-1/2 cups wine, chicken broth, second seasoning packet and figs. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and braise in 300° F oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven, discard seasoning packet. Sprinkle with parsley. Tip: Pre-cut lamb stew meat can be used in this recipe.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.