Braised Chicken in a Black Cherry Sauce
- 3 1/2 pounds mixed chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup R.W. Knudsen Black Cherry concentrated juice
- 1 16 oz can pitted dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- lemon slices
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a shallow dish mix the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Coat the chicken with the mixture. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the chicken without crowding and brown on both sides.
- Remove the chicken and pour off all but 2 tablespoons excess fat. Saute the onion and garlic in the pan drippings for 2 minutes. Add the R.W. Knudsen Black Cherry concentrated juice and bring to a boil, stirring up the brown bits from the skillet. Return the chicken to the pan and add the cherry syrup, allspice, and lemon juice. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 35 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add the cherries and sliced green onions and heat for an additional 2 minutes. Serve with the cooked rice and garnish with lemon slices and additional sliced green onions.
Nutrition note: Nutrition calculation based on 3.75 lbs chicken.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.