Black Bean Lasagna
- 8 oz lasagna noodles, uncooked, (approximately 9 noodles)
- Bean mixture:4 cups black beans, (two 15-ounce cans), divided
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup red bell pepper, (or green pepper), chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/3 cups tomato sauce, (one 29-ounce can)
- Cheese filling:2 cups cottage cheese, lowfat
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or fresh parsley)
- 1 cup reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook noodles until done, drain and set aside.
- Prepare bean mixture: Rinse and drain black beans. Mash one-half of beans and set aside. Spray a medium saucepan with vegetable oil spray and sauté red pepper, onion and garlic until tender. Add mashed beans, whole beans and tomato sauce; simmer for 10–15 minutes.
- Prepare cheese filling: With an electric mixer, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese and egg whites, stir in the cilantro.
- Assemble: Spray a 9x9-inch (23x23cm) square baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Arrange one-third of the noodles on the bottom of the pan, top with one-third cheese filling, spread on one-third bean mixture. Repeat twice, ending with bean mixture.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, remove and top with cheese, return to oven for another 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.