Beef Barley Soup
- 3 lbs beef shank cross cuts, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen French-cut green beans
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add beef, 5 cups water, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove cross cuts. Cut beef from bones; cut beef into 3/4-inch pieces. Skim fat from soup. Stir in beef and barley; continue cooking, covered, 50 to 60 minutes or until beef and barley are tender.
- Add green beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.