Basil and Five Spice Chicken Legs with Cantaloupe Salad
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 16 basil leaves
- Marinade1 Tbs five-spice powder
- 1 stalk lemon grass, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 3 Tbs water
- Cantaloupe Salad1/2 cantaloupe, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 basil leaves, sliced
- Lift the skin on leg quarters and press 4 basil leaves under each. Place chicken in resealable plastic bags.
- In blender, mix 1 tablespoon five-spice powder, lemon grass, soy sauce, vegetable oil and water. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture into plastic bag with chicken; seal and shake until chicken is coated. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, prepare coals for grill, or preheat gas grill. Place chicken on grill over medium heat and cook, turning, until firm and cooked thoroughly, about 10 - 15 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare salad by whisking together in medium bowl five-spice powder, rice vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside. Arrange cantaloupe slices on serving plates or platter. Drizzle salad dressing over cantaloupe; sprinkle with slivered basil leaves. Place chicken legs next to salad to serve.
Nutrition note: Nutrition caculation based on skinless legs.
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.