Barley and Mushroom Salad
- Vinaigrette1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- olive oil
- 2 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 oz raw shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- For vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard. Slowly add oil while whisking, until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Peel onion half and coat with oil. Place on baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Chop coarsely.
- In a medium pot, bring broth to a boil and add barley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender (35 to 40 minutes). Drain any excess liquid; spread barley on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of oil until tender. Mix sautéed mushrooms into cooled barley, along with onion, parsley, salt and vinaigrette. Adjust seasoning as desired.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.