About This Condition
Halitosis is the technical term for bad breath, a condition estimated to affect 50 to 65% of the population.1
Up to 90% of cases are thought to originate from sources in the mouth, including poor oral hygiene, periodontal disease, coating on the tongue, impacted food, faulty dental restorations, and throat infections.2, 3, 4 The remaining 10% are due to systemic disorders, such as peptic ulcer (when associated with infection),5, 6 lung infections (bad breath can be the first sign in some cases),7liver or kidney disease,8, 9diabetes mellitus, cancer,10 or even a person’s imagination (healthy individuals sometimes complain of bad breath that cannot be smelled by anyone else and is not linked to any clinical disorder).11
In most cases, bad breath in the mouth can be traced to sulfur gases produced by bacteria in the mouth.12, 13 Factors that support the growth of these bacteria will predispose a person to halitosis. Examples include accumulation of food within pockets around the teeth,14 among the bumps at the back of the tongue,15 or in small pockets in the tonsils; sloughed cells from the mouth; and diminished saliva flow. Mucus in the throat or sinuses can also serve as a breeding ground for bacteria. Conditions are most favorable for odor production during the night and between meals.16
Although bad breath primarily represents a source of embarrassment or annoyance, research has shown that the sulfur gases most responsible for halitosis (hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan) are also potentially damaging to the tissues in the mouth, and can lead to periodontitis (inflammation of the gums and ligaments supporting the teeth).17, 18 As periodontal disease progresses, so may the halitosis, as bacteria accumulate in the pockets that form next to the teeth.
Healthy Lifestyle Tips
Home oral hygiene is probably the most effective way to reduce accumulations of debris and bacteria that lead to halitosis. This includes regular tooth brushing and flossing, and/or the use of mechanical irrigators to remove accumulations of food after eating. Brushing the tongue or using a commercial tongue scraper, especially over the bumpiest region of the tongue, may help remove the odor-causing agents as well as lower the overall bacteria count in the mouth.
Because of the role of gum disease in halitosis, regular dental care is recommended to prevent or treat gum disease. Treatment for a person with periodontal pockets might include scaling of the teeth to remove tartar.19
A reduced saliva flow increases the concentration of bacteria in the mouth and worsens bad breath.20 One of the most common causes of dry mouth is medication, such as antihistamines, some antidepressants, and diuretics; however, chronic mouth breathing, radiation therapy, dehydration, and various diseases can also contribute.21 Measures that help increase saliva production (e.g., chewing sugarless gum and drinking adequate water) may improve halitosis associated with poor saliva flow. Avoiding alcohol (ironically found in many commercial mouthwashes) may also help, because alcohol is drying to the mouth.
Access by oral bacteria to sulfur-containing amino acids will enhance the production of sulfur gases that are responsible for bad breath. This effect was demonstrated in a study in which concentrations of these sulfur gases in the mouth were increased after subjects used a mouth rinse containing the amino acid cysteine.22 Cleaning the mouth after eating sulfur-rich foods, such as dairy, fish, and meat, may help remove the food sources for these bacteria.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented in Aisle7 is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. Self-treatment is not recommended for life-threatening conditions that require medical treatment under a doctor's care. For many of the conditions discussed, treatment with prescription or over the counter medication is also available. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.